Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Social Marketing - Literally



Wednesday, August 5th

Kabul, Afghanistan

Today we were liberated from lock-down. Half my team went to USAID to make their initial presentations. But my colleague, Dr. Asif Nazir and I stayed behind to review our final report on social marketing. I noticed he was a bit quiet. Finally he said, "Susan, I got in a big argument with my wife last night and I need to fix it before I can do any work." When I asked what we could do he smiled at me and said "SOCIAL MARKETING"

So Dr. Asif, Farhid the IT guy and a bodyguard jumped into the jeep and headed back to Ganjina. Farhid has a crush on the designer who is making my jacket and Dr. Asif wanted to buy something for his wife. So Farhid was dressed in a very handsome suit. He was determined to get this designers' telephone number. While I was being fitted for my jacket Dr. Asif was looking through the racks for his wife and chuckling about how we need to leave Farhid in the designer salon - under the false pretense of representing my need to get the jacket done quickly. So after my fitting we faffed around the rest of the shop while Farhid set his sites on Wajda, the incredibly beautiful fashion designer. After about an hour Dr. Asif whispered to me "God, I wonder if he is proposing marriage to her in there ..." Even the body guard was laughing. So I poked my head in designer salon and found Farhid being fitted for a jacket. You've never seen a happier IT guy in your life.

And personally, this was the most enjoyable social marketing experience of my life. I didn't want to spoil it by taking any pictures of Farhid and Wajda just now. So I can just show you what I'm having made ... and stay tuned for the photos of Farhid in his suit.

2 comments:

  1. surreal ... I like the outfit a lot .. bet it gave you idwas for new textile products and designs .. hmm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the going gets tough; the tough go shopping. Love the jacket, Sue. The fabric is fabulous. ~DeeDee

    ReplyDelete