Saturday, August 15, 2009

Kindness and Love



Saturday, August 15th
Kabul

Today my bedroom windows were blown out by an enormous car bomb that blew up near our compound. Two people are injured, but mercifully nobody was killed here.

After the initial blast, we began cleaning our rooms. It was very, very quiet.

My colleague Dr. Hamidi brought is adorable little 4-year old daughter Shigufa with him today. Shigufal is suffering from congenital heart disease and we are all trying to get her to Omaha to get much-needed open heart surgery. So in the aftermath of this horrible bomb, we just relaxed with her. My beloved friend Poya said, "Please ... get us out of here ... I am sick of all these bombs ... let's just have love..." I think these pictures say it all -that and the sound of little Shigufa taking a nap in my room while Beauty & The Beast is playing on my television.

As I think about this perverted Taliban ... I can't imagine how or why they are here. They are not Afghan.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to see you are taking time to smell the roses; literally. Where is Sigufal's mother? I hope the little angel can get out of there soon for her surgery.
    If you get routed through London, look us up.
    ~Diane

    ReplyDelete