Tuesday, August 18, 2009

My Last Day in Kabul



August 18, 2009

Kabul

We submitted our report yesterday and are just now working with the minor changes. So as we listened to another day of IED explosions, suicide bombings and RPG's Dr. Hamidi and I sat in the compound garden and talked about the real challenges in the Afghanistan health picture. This man is the most heroic person I have ever met. Every Thursday he puts on his turban and drives to Helmond to work in a womens' clinic. He get's paid $200 a month for his work and never complains.

As much as I am proud of the work of USAID, The US Human Terrain System, ISAF and the American technical advisors, I am humbled by the non-stop determination of Afghan doctors.

I'm too tired to write anymore tonight and I need to go to bed now - to prepare for a wild ride the the airport. But suffice it to say, I am almost in tears when I think about the grace and dignity of the Afghan people. We must continue helping them.

Amy, Carmen & Christi ... you did not die in vane. The Afghans will always remember you. So will I.

No comments:

Post a Comment