Saturday, July 11, 2009

Starting our Work - Remembering my Colleagues

July 11, 2009 - 1:20pm / Kabul, Afghanistan

After a restless night of non-sleep I managed to get myself to the fitness room in the other building of the compound. If I can get a routine going it will be great. There is an Indian guy here who leads a yoga session every night at 6:00pm. I think I'll go.

Today we had our planning meeting with USAID. It went extremely well. They are asking us to be smart and creative in our recommendations and project design. I'm so excited about this. The Afghans on our team are amazing. We have three doctors on the project who are smart, strategic, organized and visionary. They have great ideas and are committed to finding ways to get immediate help to those who need it - and are determined to an approach that will be sustainable.

I spoke with our Afghan USAID contact about my late colleagues. He took me to a special room where their photos are hanging. We both stood silently - but I finally couldn't hold back the tears. I told him about how I recruited Amy Neibling from my home town and how I had met her mother. He wants to write a note and asked me to deliver it to Amy's mother in Omaha. We both kept looking at their photos and then we were both in tears.

He kept saying "... We will always love these beautiful women who came here to help us ..."

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sue - Did you rewrite this blog? I am sure I read this blog earlier today and it had different content. I like the idea of having an evening yoga session with the gentleman from India. That would be great for both mind and body. I'll keep reading your blog and comment when I can. Take care.
    ~DeeDee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I re-wrote the blog comment. I need to be a bit careful about what I'm posting on this blog. So I gave it a little scrub.

    ReplyDelete